I was pondering the question too – fortunately not for long! I am in the jQuery camp now and couldn’t be happier about it. Now, I am not saying it is for everyone, neither that it is superior to prototype / script.aculo.us or anything like that (neither with nor without Rails) – all I am saying is that I switched and didn’t regret it! As my earlier research based on Rails Rumble suggested, more and more people are switching to jQuery (as well as companies like Microsoft and Nokia), so why couldn’t you give it a spin? Here are some articles and stuff I found useful when I was in your shoes:
What’s the Great Idea?!
- A light but informational jQuery article from err the blog – perfect to get the idea
- A short introductory slideshow
- a great railscast (is there any other kind of railscast?!?) about jQuery
Coming from Prototype? Who isn’t…
- Converting fromPrototype to jQuery – thanks for the find goes to Yury Tsukerman
- jQuery vs Prototype slideshow with side-by-side examples
- Creating a jQuery plugin from scratch – by John Nunemaker
- Jquery Tutorial: DOM manipulation and sorting – a bit more advanced than the intro-level articles.
- 15 Days of jQuery – A very complete, long tutorial starting from ‘Hello, World!”, showcasing the framework all the way to sortables/draggables ad other meaty stuff
- Building your first jQuery plugin
- You can find plenty links to other materials here or even at the official jQuery page
- jQuery in action – I am reading this book at the moment and it totally kicks ass.
What are you waiting for? Enter the red tower of Hanoi – you won’t be disappointed!